I'm excited for my first Grateful Heart post with Ember Grey. I love reading the posts on the linkup each week as they provide an extra dose of Monday motivation.
Have you ever just had a case of the blahs? Yesterday I had one of those days. My plans didn't go as I wanted, I had to deal with annoying people, and I ended up just being bored and cranky. When I get a case of the blahs I unfortunately let it get the best of me. Sometimes it's easier to just sulk in it and be mad at the world. But the world isn't going stop just because you're in a mood so it's best to put your big girl panties on and try to shake that 'tude.
I have my fair share of moods so I've got an arsenal of tactics that I use to get myself back to normal and spare everyone else around me :)
1. Take a nap. This ALWAYS helps me. Sometimes your mind just needs a break from whatever has you upset. Taking a nap to recharge is good for the soul.
2. Grab some coffee. In my opinion there is never a bad time for coffee but it can also help boost your mood. Caffeine naturally stimulates the dopamine production in your brain to secrete some good vibes. However, I think for me it's the ritual. Whether it's going to your favorite coffee shop or brewing and preparing you own it's nice to go through that process and then sitting down to just enjoy it without any other distractions.
3. Go to the dog park. How can anyone be grumpy seeing dogs having the time of their lives running around the park? My dogs love the park. Jax knows when we start the drive up the hill to the park where he's going and just about jumps out of his skin from excitement. We should all take a lesson from our dogs and just enjoy the little things in life. Even if you don't have a dog it's ok to be that
creepy person without a dog (every once in a while) and go and just watch all the dogs. A dog at the dog park is the epitome of happiness.
4. Take a walk or exercise. Taking a walk around town or on a nature course is a great way to clear your head and think through your anger or frustration. Pop in your earbuds and enjoy a podcast or your favorite playlist for a welcomed distraction from life. Going to an hour long exercise class or a long run will also boost those dopamine levels. Not to mention getting some extra steps in :)
5. Call a friend. If you're like me you mainly keep in touch with your friends through texting or group messages. We are all busy and the convenience of it is great but sometimes it's nice to pick up the phone and actually hear their voice. Laughing and reminiscing is often the best medicine.
When a bad mood strikes we all often dig our heels in and think woe is me, my life is hard, and feel desperate. Everyone has bad days and that's ok but I'm betting we all also have blessed lives to be grateful for.
How do you shake a bad mood?